Exhausting But Extraordinary

This month has been exhausting but extraordinary.
  • I've been hired to create a logo/symbol and my mother's day cards sold out.. twice. I've never felt more popular, despite not have thousands of followers on social media. It makes me wonder if I should get a Twitter account... ugh I hope not.
  • The Weather Machine decided to have one week of Spring and then skip right into Summer. At least the sun is finally out again!
  • I learned what was preventing the garage door from opening (from someone who could see the problem because nobody else in our house could because we are not tall enough, dangit). 
  • The pen pressure on my tablet decided to stop functioning and I haven't been able to fix it yet.
  • I got my own health insurance for the first time (and I'm not even 26 yet)!
  • I attended 3 dances of DCLX, aka the biggest Lindy Hop Live Band Dance Weekend Of All Time.
  • Went on a day and a half trip to Virginia Beach.
  • Resubscribed to Netflix and have been gradually watching every episode of Midsomer Murders.
  • Ordered a new bra only for me to STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED IT (I think I'm getting it tomorrow but we shall see, let's hope it fits..). 
  • My dad was here briefly for tests and check ups (and dinner with his daughter) and they all came out extremely well.
  • I mowed the lawn for the first time (with no-motor-push-mower).
  • And today marks the 6th anniversary of my dear friend Theresa's passing. 
Exhausting but extraordinary.

It's hard to decide which topic to discuss this blogpost but since this is supposed to be about me being an enigmatic illustrator, let's go with the first couple I mentioned.

As you may remember, I started creating one greeting card per month and selling them on Etsy. Each month I would print 10 cards and hope that people would buy them. I had no intention of maknig a great profit (I still don't) and I didn't sell out of any until my Easter card (and that was because a friend bought the last five). For May I created a basic mother's day card that could be for almost anything - it was an illustration of the madonna and child, inspired by Klimt's "The Kiss" in many aspects. I printed 10, put them on Etsy, and they almost immediately sold out. I was shocked, and I knew a few people still wanted to buy them so I asked the internet "If at least 5 people promise me they will buy a card, I will print more". I printed 40 cards and sold Every. Single. One. I thought about having the printing place trim them for me for the $12 trimming fee and foolish me decided, no, I can do it. Well, I did, but I never want to do it again!

Last week I stayed up late and got up early almost every day to get all of it complete - I felt like a real businesswoman, a real illustrator! I'm so happy people liked the illustration I created. This past Saturday I was working on framing it and I'm going all out, hoping perhaps I can sell the original as well. We shall see!

Some people have offered advice on how to better manage or increase the potential of my business and while I have appreciated it, I can only do so much. I am one person and I already work full-time with an hour commute, I can't quite make this card business my full time job unless I went viral and was forced to quit my day job. It'd be a dream, but I'll tell you right now - the profit I've made thus far from my freelance/card business is $106. That's from January 2018 to the present day. Unless I somehow miraculously sell thousands of card each month, there isn't a possibility for me for me to do this full time. Such is life!

I am okay with this. I am making art, and people can afford to buy what I am selling. If I sell zero cards, so be it, I have something new in my portfolio. If I sell a hundred cards, hot diggity damn, I'll be exhausted but excited. I have always enjoyed creating customized cards for my friends and family, there is something about gift giving that I really love. That's what I'd like for my audience to appreciate - that the reason they are giving someone a card is special, it's thoughtful, it's personal. I want my work to mean something.



Comments

Popular Posts