Oh The Places I'll Go

Boy oh boy, friends, what a crazy few weeks it has been.

About a month ago I had a phone review with someone from the Directory of Illustration about my portfolio which was interesting. I knew most of the things she pointed out already but I'm glad at the end I did not feel like a failure nor did it feel impossible for me to succeed.

I always tell people that my goal is to be a children's book illustrator, which of course I expressed to her as well, but honestly? I don't know what direction my art is going in right now and I am not sure where I want it to exactly. For the moment, I am exhausted. The reason for the portfolio review was for her to assess whether or not if I should enter into the Directory of Illustration and she told me not yet (while my work is great I need more consistent work, something I already knew), but that would actually cost me money- it would be an investment. I told her honestly I was currently in the process of looking for and buying my first car because without that I am pretty limited in what I can do and where I can go and I laughed when her response was "Oh yeah, get your car first! But keep in touch with me!"

And guess what? I DO have a car now (and insurance!), but because my day off happened to be on Veteran's day observed I wasn't able to go to the DMV to get all of my things in order. So I have a car, I just can't drive it yet.

This past Friday I went dancing and I told my friends there about my new car and one of them was geniunely surprised/impressed that this is my first car because he couldn't have imagined life without one, even at my age.

It is crazy to think for me that I actually bought a car, it's mine, it's in my driveway, it's REAL. And it's pretty nice too, even if it is a used car. It's my car. And once I get my registration stuff done, it really will be mine, and I will be able to go anywhere I please. I will be able to go to any grocery store I want and I won't have to take the groceries on the train and walk home in the rain or snow from the Metro station.

I'm a touch closer to my dream of doing a road trip across the Western half of the United States! I mean like, I've been daydreaming about that since I started college to be honest, and now... now I could make it happen if I really wanted to. The possibilities are endless.

Comments

Popular Posts