Frogs Do Fly On Lilypads But Only On Tueday Nights

While I don't read often anymore because I'm either too exhausted or too anxious about other tasks at hand, I still collect children's books. This is a recent hobby of mine and I am growing to love it. I love finding all sorts of odd stories and beautiful and/or quirky illustrations to add to my collection of inspiration and for sharing.

Recently someone asked me what my favorite book is and I always give the same answer, but it made me start thinking about why it is my favorite, and why those are my favorite kinds of stories.

It was always difficult for me to get hooked on stories that didn't belong to this world, or they were so far from it that it didn't feel reachable. Don't get me wrong, I do like Lord of the Rings, and I get that Middle Earth is just... the earth, but older, but even though there was the race of man included, it didn't feel like it was of this world, it was one created outside it. Same with other stories I liked, but I never felt too attached too.

I loved reading Stardust, Coraline, Inkheart, Jumanji, A Bad Case of Stripes, Tuesday, and so many others I could list, and so I asked myself, what do all of these stories have in common? They all belong to a seemingly ordinary world with something extraordinary waiting to be uncovered, something the readers get to discover. Some of it's magical, some of it's terrifying, and some of it's just plain odd! I love that kind of magic, those kinds of stories.

They're the kinds of stories that developed my childhood imagination, always looking for the extraordinary and miraculous in the boring and mundane rhythm of every day. They're not long stories usually, but they're magical just enough to make you question, hm, maybe frogs do fly on lilypads at night while we sleep. Perhaps there is a secret door to a parallel universe where people have buttons for eyes. Perhaps Jumanji does exist. I mean, who knows? I haven't found Jumanji, not yet at least! I haven't found that secret door. I have never seen frogs fly on lilypads, but then again, how is that proof that they don't?

I would like to write stories like these, and illustrate them. They are my favorite kinds of stories because they make it seem like anything is possible, and funnily enough, further cements me deeper into my Catholic faith. In such an ordinary world we have the extraordinary Eucharist. Priests have the gift to act as Christ in forgiving our sins through the Sacrament Reconciliation. I mean, it's something so peculiar, so odd, for a religion to have, and yet, there it is, and it's one of the most beautiful things, something so quiet, private, and personal.

Anyway friends, I'm trying to stay positive in these trying times. The owners of our house plan on selling it so we have to move very soon. My roommate got laid off almost as soon as we received that information. I'm currently very stressed and have trouble sleeping thanks to my anxiety-filled brain, so if you could shoot me a prayer or too, I'd be greatful.

Remember, nothing is impossible with God.

Comments

Popular Posts