Service-Oriented

Last week I was able to visit my family for a few days before starting my new job.

It has been a difficult few weeks.

I have not made any art in the last two weeks which has been a real bummer, but to be fair, I just started working, I had visited my family, and I'm still not done moving into my new house yet. That's right, I'm not homeless!

I recently watched a short Ted Talk on what it takes to succeed, and the answer is not talent, not IQ, it's grit. Stanima for the long run.

As you may have guessed, I get frustrated frequently because I feel like I have not yet succeeded as an illustrator, as young as I am. I question myself a lot, "do I have what it takes?" because life is exhausting!

My year of service has ended, I started my new job as a custom picture framer at this awesome frame shop (I will write about that at a later date!), I'm in between living spaces, I'm dating someone long distance, my family lives over a thousand miles away, and my dad just started chemo. There has been so much physical and emotional and spiritual stress loaded on top of me that I don't know how to get enough sleep each night!



One thing I wanted to talk about is why sometimes life can be so exhausting and even more difficult.

People can grow up in many different ways, but the two that stand out to me the most are service-oriented people, and self-oriented people. It's not to say one is morally superior than the other, but when they are put together their personalities often clash.

Self-oriented people tend to only outwardly care for themeselves, their immediate family, and close friends. Service-oriented people care for people instinctively, but are not necessarily good at caring for themselves.

People who have not had to deal with Real Life Problems for most of their lives are more often self-oriented, unless their life was all about surviving. Sometimes people can be self-oriented because that's what life dictated. Self-orientated does not necessarily mean selfish, it can mean they play it safe.

 People who have and do deal with Real Life Problems, or are at least a common witness to them, are more often service-oriented. Of course there are exceptions for some people, but this is just my general observation.

It is a struggle as an illustrator because I am a service-oriented person, but in order to be a successful business person, to be a successful artist, I need to be more self-oriented because how else am I supposed to profit off of my talent? Or at least have some extra money to go swing dancing??

I need a clever and careful balance of both orientations in order to succeed, but right now I don't have the energy for either.



Comments

Popular Posts