I Know It Won't Get Lost

See you later, D.C.




I never would have expected

To make the capital of our country my home.

It had always been so far

But it had always been so close.


The DMV is more than just a political barf-zone

And museums you can visit for free

And the National Institute of Health

And a tourist trap for those visiting.







It's more than its public transportation never running on time

And its know-it-all preppy hipster college students


And its rules-don't-apply-to-me-I'm-a-diplomat drivers

And its preposterous parking laws and rates for rent.



I grew up in a capital city with the bragging rights

That our capitol is seven feet taller than the one in D.C.

That our city is the live music capital of the world

That our town has the best barbecue in the country.





Austin has the best dancing

And its traffic: The Worst

Its food: The Best

and Keep Austin Weird - we were first.







The more I described Austin I realized

The more I am describing the District.

The more I describe the D.C. area

The more I seem to have nearly missed it.








There is no doubt my heart will rest here

In its communities of chaos

Just as I had also left my heart in my hometown for safekeeping

And after three years here, I know it won't get lost.



Hi, friends. I hope you like my little heartfelt poem I wrote at 8:30am this fine Friday morning. I used to write poetry all the time, you know? I miss doing it, even if it isn't that great. For my friends who are worried I am making some sort of mistake leaving here, don't worry. I may not know what I am doing, but God sure has a plan, and it's been crazy from the start. There is no doubt in my mind that where I am headed will lead me where I need to go.






Comments

Popular Posts