Hi Creative Side, Remember Me?

I haven't really made art in over a month. I have had hardly time to even think about my creative passions and pursuits with everything that has been going on in my life but I'm not going to let this gap stop me from starting again.


I've been listening to the audiobook of Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert (the author of Eat, Pray, Love) and it has helped my brain jumpstart with talking to my creative side again. 

When someone goes not only without inspiration, but without even trying, for over a month... they start asking themselves, did you have talent or passion to begin with? 

I do! I have passion! I have ideas! I need the texture of creating something in my life at all times. I was listening the audiobook while on the train to work while I was crocheting something. I thought hey, I haven't legitimately stopped creating stuff... it's impossible for the nature of my being to let go of making things. 

My day job is custom-framing and while the job is extremely detail-orientated about how perfect everything looks surrounding the art, I see tons of interesting things that are inspiring, and people who come through the door of the shop are interesting too. My day job is not boring, although some of the tasks within can be. It is full of things that remind me of who I want to be and what I want to create. 

Even my co-workers are inspiring. They are all such lovely people with backgrounds that I find very interesting. I'm trying to get to know them more and more every day, and I do, and I am delighted with each new fact. One of them has a motorcycle. Another is from another country. Another one is engaged. Another one went to the same school I did. Another one has two small children. Another one grew up in this state. One of them is on vacation in southeast Asia. The list goes on.

Needless to say, I want to stay creative because I like making things for myself and others. I love to draw and paint, I love to write, and I love to dance, and I love to teach dancing too. I shouldn't feel guilty about pursuing one more than the other because one may result me not in succeeding in the other because I wouldn't have enough time or any of that sort of nonsense. I should pursue the things I love because I love them, and dadgummit, finish the things I start! 

But if I don't, it won't kill me. I will start something new, because that's what I like to do. I don't have to feel pressure to create something because I need to rely on it for financial reasons or because other people are waiting for my art to be produced or because my mind demands I make better things. I shouldn't feel pressure about it anyway! It's my creative side, no one elses. I will do what I want. I'm not going to sit around and wait, I'm not going to let my creative life fall apart because of fear of failure. I WILL do what I want. 



Comments

Popular Posts