Finding and KEEPING a Routine

Something that I admire of freelance artists, illustrators, and designers, and every other person who is their own boss, is that they not only create their own schedules - but they KEEP them, they actually DO their own routine that they plan for the week every week, every month, every year.


Image result for daily routines of creatives

Here is a chart of creative people's daily routines for an example. I can assure you my routine is not like any of these because my routine does not exist.

Right now I am not good at keeping my own schedule - I'm fine with keeping up with all of my volunteer work and things that are of urgent matters, but when it comes to what is important to me... I have been avoiding it because honestly? I'm afraid of failure and because depression can be sneaky.

I have heard some people believe that great art comes from artists who are depressed and are suffering mentally. I firmly believe that is not where the greatest creativity comes from. When I am sad, when I am depressed, I become apathetic and everything that is important to me gets put to the side. Depression isn't a source of inspiration. Pain, perhaps, but depression? No.

Even though I am not severely depressed at the moment, I definitely was a few years ago, and those side-effects are still affecting me today. It's hard to get up in the morning sometimes. I have to fight the urge to do nothing. I need to have inner battles every day just to do things I love to do, especially drawing. I have insomnia most of the time, often because of anxiety.

My current daily routine is different almost every day, but I will try to summarize:
  1. Hear alarm but press snooze at least 3 times, and then stay in bed another few minutes.
  2. Get up, groggy because I did not get enough sleep and allergy medicine does that to me.
  3. Eat a banana or whatever else for breakfast. 
  4. Get dressed.
  5. Wait around a little bit scrolling through social media.
  6. Go to ministry.
  7. Return home, eat something, scroll through social media, usually on my bed.
  8. Maybe watch a TV show.
  9. Chat with community,
  10. More social media.
  11. Eventually fall asleep to an audiobook because that's all you can fall asleep to these days.
Depends on the day, but sometimes I wake up at 6, other times 8:15. Then I don't fall asleep until midnight at the earliest, but as you can see, I never give myself time to actually do what I want. I never give myself to write or to create.

I did make a discovery this month, however. I do know HOW to keep myself in a routine. There are two things that will help me create and stay in a routine that will be healthy for me. The components are A. Eliminate social media almost entirely, and B. Write before you go to sleep Every. Single. Night. 

If I do those two things, especially the latter, I actually accomplish things and I feel better about myself, my relationship with God, and about my future as an illustrator. What is one thing that brings you back to or starts you off on a good routine? 

Here is my ideal routine in my current line of work:
  1. Wake up naturally at 7:30 am, eat breakfast, get dressed, etc.
  2. Exercise/stretch for a short time.
  3. Creative work for an hour or so.
  4. Ministry.
  5. Return home, food, chat with community, maybe take a short nap.
  6. Creative work for 1-3 hours.
  7. Exercise/stretch for a short time.
  8. Prepare for sleep.
  9. Write.
  10. Fall asleep naturally by 10pm.
I may be an enigma, but there is no secret or unusual kind of trick to being an illustrator with a good work ethic. I can't always wait for inspiration to come because eventually I will have deadlines to keep. If I want to be a good freelance illustrator, I need to establish a healthy routine that I actively seek out every day, every week. This is universal to all career types.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Comments

Popular Posts