I Am An Enigma

I have been trying to figure out good ways to be productive towards my goal of becoming a children's book illustrator and nearly forgot my love for storytelling in the process.

One activity that helps is documenting progress, which I have been doing in a variety of ways, but none of these ways felt inspiring. I needed something that would actively challenge and inspire me into achieving my dreams: blogging.

Everyone blogs nowadays so I had put that idea off for a while. "I am too busy for a blog! Who would read it anyway? I would focus more on It than my Real Goals! It will not be worth it! Who would care? I wouldn't want to publish and share something for all to see that I am not proud of, or something that is too personal, so give up already!"

Here's to not giving up! I love storytelling, and the easiest type of storytelling comes from my own experience. Story number one: my experience in coming up with this blog, Illustrator Enigmas.

I have always wished I could share something with my family and friends who never understood why I chose to pursue this type of career. I wanted to share something to help them understand my zig-zag path.

Common misunderstandings:

  • you are so talented, of course you pursued art because you're good at it!
  • why are you volunteering with administrative assistance when you're so good at art?
  • I know some authors who would be interested in your illustration skills
  • just get a graphic design job, that's practically the same thing
  • you draw so fast, you must get art done so quickly
  • if you are an illustrator then why are you teaching English as a Second Language?
  • just live at home, it will be easier and less stressful to find work that way
  • you like doing art, don't you do it all the time?
  • books and animation, basically the same industry right?
This blog is my way of taking you with me on my journey. You will get to experience a beginner adult's life through my lense and immerse yourself into my perspective, and maybe even convert to Catholicism my sense of humor.


Being an illustrator is a unique profession. I don't mean it's a unique job - I mean everyone who is an illustrator makes their profession unique. No illustrator's job is ever quite the same as another illustrator's.

"So what do you do?"

"I'm an illustrator."

"So... what do you do?"

I have always been hesitant to reply because often I do not feel qualified to call myself an illustrator. I do not have anything substantial published. Making art does not bring in the dough for me. Only a year ago did I graduate college. What am I?

I am an enigma.


Comments

Popular Posts